Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Time Travel

Mom believed in Time travel. Actually I think she wanted to believe so that she had something she could hope for. I don't think she was necessarily happy or comfortable in this time slot. it might have had something to do with her disability (blindness) or the manic depressive disorder she suffered from. Either way, she was always wishing she could be somewhere else in time.


Like her, I like Time Travel, but for far different reason. I want to see what it Was like or Will be like in another time. Unlike Mom, I like this time slot. And on May 17th, 2008 about 7pm. . .I really. . .Really . . . REALLY liked the time slot I was in.





Jerry and I had a joint birthday party on that evening. Our friend Bryan offered up his wonderful piece of property with old (1920's) barn, old (1940's) out buildings, a stand of oak trees, a beautiful lawn and fire pit. Music was provided by another friend Scott Messer and part of his band Darby O'Gill for Irish music. There was Guiness stew, Bangers, to bring the flavor of ireland to the party. And of course a keg of Smithwicks (imported Irish beer) and a couple of cases of Guiness and a case of hard cider for Mary & friends.




The pictures above show how perfect it all was. Tire swing and Croquet, a rustic stage for the band. . .and yes, you see me playing my cello with the band. Something I should have done long time ago. Oh,. . .and Jerry serving up a Light Beer (cup on 3 balloons).

I was going to drop in the video of the band singing happy birthday to me, but Blogspot said it was too big so I'm going to have to work on shrinking it.









The time slot was excellent. I had a moment around 8pm when the band had just finished a set, the music was hanging in the air. Friends and family were talking and laughing. You could hear the children playing in the yard. The sun was just at the angle where the rays were hitting Mt Hood directly so the snow was brillant white. The moon was rising and I could see it through the branches of the oak trees. The heat of the day had cooled off and a gentle breeze was coming through the yard. My thoughts at that moment were. . .I am lucky to be alive for this moment. It is good to be 50. And good to have friends and family, music and scenery all together in one spot. Another one of those days I love living in Oregon.

Yup, this was a good birthday party. Sorry you missed it.

No comments: