THE MEANDERINGS OF A FEISTY COUPLE. THEIR ADVENTURES ARE NOT ALWAYS HUMOROUS NOR INTERESTING, BUT WE SHARE THEM JUST THE SAME.
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Sehr Gud - It's all Good
Let’s just skip by the part of travel that has to do with airports and trains. And
That is the boring part and only includes Jerry and Mary getting snippy with each other about translations and timing.
We are now in Harburg, a large suburb of Hamburg Germany. That is at the top of Germany and has the only port to the ocean, or rather the North Sea. Our friends Reimer and Birgit and their children Kieran and Elanor live here. Kieran is 8yo and here we see him in his Boy Scout uniform. Last night he had a troop meeting. He spent the meeting coloring masks . The masks are for Fasching celebrations. That is Mardi Gras and the whole reason we are visiting Germany this time of year. Elanor is 6yo and loves to draw on everything.
They aren’t smiling in this picture. Hopefully tonight we can make a better picture of them.
Today we were walking around town and found this interesting bike. I have seen the front part of the bike used as an ice cream vendor. And the back part I have seen as well, but I have never seen both put together. The gentleman spoke good English and allowed me the pic. Turns out he used to live in Virginia.
Then we found our way to one shop that Jerry and I can always agree on. BREAD. Note the lovely pre-made sandwiches. And the wonderful bakery pasteries. We finally agreed on this Kuchen. It was almond and raisin like a coffee cake and the size of a dinner plate. No we didn’t eat it all.
I apologize for the pics being sideways or too small. I don't have photoshop on this computer so I have to take the photos straight from the camera with no altering.
Here is a farmers market. One shop Jaci may like, the birdhouses are built like typical Hamburg or Norse houses with the animal carved roof beams.
And for those who are meat eaters. . .make sure you learn the names of your meats. Jerry was commenting on this shop having sausages and then on the tables were loaves of bread that you can take a slice to with your sausage. . . Then Reimer told him those sausages were made from HORSE meat. WHAT? he then explained that Ross means Horse in German. Now look at the banner over this food cart. No sausage for Jerry today.
In a few hours we leave for a museum that is having a special event tonight. More on that later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
cool birdhouses!
I knew a lot of European countries sell horse meat, but didn't realize how popular it was.
Auf Wiedersehen! (I do know *some* Deutsche)..
Post a Comment