THE MEANDERINGS OF A FEISTY COUPLE. THEIR ADVENTURES ARE NOT ALWAYS HUMOROUS NOR INTERESTING, BUT WE SHARE THEM JUST THE SAME.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
In the Old Days
This past weekend we have had some fun activities. There was a trip to a living history museum. This is the kind of place all my Ren Faire friends would love. 200 year old buildings have been moved into one location. Renovated to be useable and set in areas like a zoo where there is Marsh living and Heather living. So the buildings can show the differences.
They had a special event (Fire & Light) where they stayed open till 8pm so they could demonstrate life with no electricity. Period dressed actors (exactly what I love to do) created scenes in many of the buildings showing food prep, weaving/spinning, bread making, wood carving. So many things. Some of the people spoke enough English to chat with me. I was in heaven. Jerry was not. Each building had a fire going and there was of course smoke. Jerry didn’t want too smell like smoke so he stood outside. . . and it was COLD. Silly man.
Here is an interesting loom, love the wood frame carved, not just functional but beautiful. And the room heater. This is a bit different than the ones we find in Switzerland, but still used the same way. It is a fire with a ceramic chimney so it heats up and radiates warmth throughout the room. And yes I touched it, it was nice and toasty.
And here is Jerry standing outside and the lady walking across is in WOODEN SHOES!! clop clopping over the cobble stones, you can just hear Jerry's next comments to me.. . .I thought a horse was walking by.
ugh!
Butter churning
Gentlemen demonstrating different oil lamps.
Wheelwright hut.
Here is a lady sewing by one candle, my flash totally changes the lighting in the room. To my fellow costuming friends, she was sewing a beautiful brown linen skirt, and wearing a wonderful wool jacket and linen cap.
I did get one question I had for a long time, answered. In the wood carvers hut asked the carpenter what did they use for sandpaper before sandpaper was invented. Answer. . .Leather and sand, BUT not just any sand. It had to be sand from the ocean because river sand is rounded because of the tumbling in the river flow. Ocean sand has sharp edges and thus works to grind down the wood till it is smooth. Hmmm
I loved it all and am glad Birgit took us to this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment