Friday, February 28, 2014

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

A climb to the top of St. Micheals in Hamburg will provide a panoramic view of this port city. We took the elevator up and walked down the stairs so we could see the clock works. I won’t put the whole panoramic set of photos here, but I do want to impress upon those from the NW how FLAT this city is. In fact the whole surrounding area is very flat. It makes me wonder if this was once a glacier ice flow at one time. I have also included a picture of the harbor. It is Very Big not at all like Seattle or San Francisco. But considering how long this city has been here and used a Port I can see how it would have grown to this size.
This interesting building looks busy on this side, but on the other side it reflects the water and with the shape of the top it is suppose to look like a wave.
The clockworks were surprisingly small for the size of clock. But still interesting to watch as it ticked away on the cogs.
Here is what it looks like on the outside.
Now for the weird story. And unfortunately there is no picture. Jenny & Manfred (our friends from Karlsruhe, father daughter) were in Hamburg this weekend and the plan was for them to pick us up from Reimer’s place on Tuesday morning and drive us (6 hours) to their house in Linkenheim (Karlsruhe area). So we had been in text contact with them throughout the weekend. Monday morning I told them that I was looking to have a Donar (can’t spell it right with an American keyboard but in America we call them Gyros). Jenny responded that they also were going to have one and the best one in town was Adria’s in the Europa Mall. Cool we thought. Then started out on our adventure to the Wunderland. Time for lunch came. . .well actually a late lunch it was 2ish. We headed for Europa mall. Once inside and at the stairs I looked up Jenny’s text to find the name of the place. And I see she sent me a picture of her father eating the Donar. Then I see the pic was taken at 2:08 I said outloud, “2:08 what time is it now. . .2:15!!! They have to still be here!!!” we got to the bottom of the stairs and turned left and Jerry immediately said, “There they are!” Sure enough they were both standing by the Donar stand reading the menu. We walked right up to them and they never saw us until Jerry said HI and Manfred screamed like a girl, so loud the lady in the Chinese food counter had a horrible frightened look and was backing away in shock. I was hugging Jenny and laughing. It was so funny to run into them. We chatted and ate our Donar’s which were very good, and said goodbye we would see them in the morning. Now for some architecture of Hamburg. . .
This has been a fun vacation so far. Only more to come. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

jaci said...

Beautiful city! I love the clockworks.

While you were running around Germany today, we were in Mt. Angel at the WurstFest. Talked to the Gobets there. I think you probably know then