Friday, July 23, 2010

What Year is it?

Next weekend I was told that we would get to attend a HUGE Renaissance Faire in Kaltenburg which is just 1 hour away from Munich. Yipee! Says Mary, Groan, says Jerry. „You are not bringing a costume are you“, „Of course I am! I can’t miss this opprotunity!!“ more groans from Jerry.

So I chose a nice peasant one and pack it in one of those space bags, I told Jerry I would carry my on luggage so he doesn’t have to worry about that darn costume.
Last Sunday Siggi the mother of our Exchange niece said she found a Medieval festival for me to go to.She had seen my costume and wanted me to have a second reason to wear it. Then her husband demanded that I wear the costume.

I also brought with me, my puppet, Snerkle. I got him in California at a faire in LA. This puppet is controlled by a cable that is hidden in my sleeve and goes to my hand. It sits on my shoulder.


I told Siggi that people will stop me and talk to me and since I don’t speak good german she would need to stay near me and help. She assured me that German people would not approach me, it was not their way.
Yeah right. . . . .

Off we go and found the festival. Siggi took the pics. But it became immediatly evident that German people WILL stop and talk to me. I knew children would want to touch Snerkle. But I also knew adults are facinated with him. We saw so many men say behind me, is it real. . .yes it is. . .I think. It made Siggi and Jenny laugh to hear the talking behind my back. I even had an exchange with a fellow puppetier. He wanted to practice his english.

I could not walk more than 8 ft without being stopped or having people stare at Snerkle. This is what Jerry hates, he just wants to be ananimous (sp?)
This was just a warm up for next weekend.