Saturday, July 17, 2010

Black Alps Tour Begins

You say Go-bet, I say Go-Bay , Lets call the whole thing off

32 hours later we are sitting at the kitchen table in LINKENHEIM Germany. So there you have the end of the story.
26 hours prior we got to LAX just fine. Our 6 hour layover could have been better had we known we had permission to sit in the Air France priority lounge where there were free drinks and snacks. We went to the lounge 20 min before we got on the plane.
While waiting we heard the announcement, “Will the following people please come to the gate, XXXX, XXXX Gerald Go-bet, Mary Go-Bet“ Go-Bet? We get to the gate counter and here are french flight attendants mispronouncing a French name. Ugh. Well, we DO have to remember we are in LA.

Now, I need to ask a favor of one of my cousins reading this. Please read this to Aunt Carmon. I had her totally in mind when this happened.

Business Class on Air France is nice.. .I mean NICE!!! Not just for the seats but for the service. There were 6 stewards for our 36 seat area. yes I said stewards. These guys look like they have just walked off the cover of GQ. . . . .I am reminded of Pepe Le Pew. . .Le pant, le pant, Mary is drooling. Tanned, not a hair out of place, and a FRENCH accent, I couldn’t ask for more. . . .wait. . yes I could, not having Jerry with me, and being 25 years would have made it even better. Oh Aunt Carmon, you would have been in heaven. They served a complete dinner with linen’s and real silverware. And even had our choice of French wines and Champagne. Lobster was part of our appetizer, I had Beef Tenderloin and Jerry had Chicken Roulande a wonderul tray of cheeses and 3 cakes with raspberry sorbet. This was a far cry from the $5 snack box back in coach. Oh and don’t forget French Toast for breakfast.
Paris was under a thunderstorm when we arrived and our plan circled for an hour before we landed due to the storm activity. Charles DeGalle airport is not pretty nor is it easy to get around in. when we finally got to the Air France lounge it was about 1 hour before we should board the next plane.
But then we got delayed. . .again. . . . .and again. . . and again. We finally left Paris at 9pm, making it 6+ hour layover that was suppose to be only 3 hours.

When we landed in Frankfurt we got to see Jenny with a cardboard sign welcoming us, she was so cute. It made us very happy to end the trip this way. But it had not ended yet. Jenny’s dad drove us to Linkenheim on the Autobahn. I stopped looking at the speedometer when he was doing 170kph. Think of it this way. . . 72mph =120kph, got it?

Our whirlwind tour has only begun and all I can think about is napping. I think about it and Jerry does it. That is why I am writing this blog and he is downstairs snoozing.

So here are some highlights, since we have arrived here.

The Rhine river is the same size as the Willamette. I thought it would be bigger, but no.

Jerry and I on a VERY hot day, 33c.

Statue infront of a palace, Kill the dragon!


Jenny's play was a bit too colorful in language for american high schools. Jenny is the one holding the gun.she is a gang member.

Dinner with our host &hostess, Manfred & Siggi, Siggi's parents and other american's as well as Jenny's sister. Jenny was at the cast party. This evening ended with Ouzo shots and conversation till 1am.

We have dinner in a wine barrel in the next blog.

1 comment:

jaci said...

170 kph = 105.64 mph.

A lot faster than my psycho brother drives. I would have closed my eyes. Glad you survived!!