Sunday, June 24, 2012

Party till the cows come home

The sun rose and set on another day of smiles and laughter and of course plenty of food and drink. Today was Manfred’s 60th birthday and the party was excellent.
They live on a private drive not a city street. So after speaking to the neighbors earlier in the day, we got to shut down the street and set up the tables and chairs/benches in the street. Jerry and I laughed at how much trouble we would have to go through to do this in America. (permits and city ordinances)

So here is a quick view of our set up time. Party starts at 6pm with plans for 50+ people




Shortly before the party started I changed to my Dirndle. Jerry would not put on his Lederhosen. . .YET. Here I am with Oma & Opa. These are the parents of Siggi. They are soooooooo sweet and speak no English. But we still love them and try to communicate. Oma brought me some lovely material with matching buttons. I have plans for it already.





Opa brought his Bavarian clothes and tried to encourage Jerry to change but. . . well it took a few liters of beer. But thankfully no Ouzo.



See these bike, it is so nice to have your guests arrive by bike, no parking issues and no one drives home drunk.



Ok. . .now to the funny parts. There was a drinking game, Olympics. Through our excellent translators (Jenny & Sabrina) we learned that a team of strong men were chosen. Since they were not strong enough for track & field, they would have to compete in a more appropriate skill test.
here are the competitors.




#1 drink a beer without spilling a drop.
#2 make the spinner turn left or right by rubbing a two sticks together. They called it Ooui.
#3 lift a stein full of beer and drink.
The next series of pictures show the games in action. Just before it was Jerry’s turn (he didn’t know about the tricks) I called Halt! And gave him a kiss for strength, I also whispered in his ear to use his right hand and all his muscles. He then of course said WHAT? Almost giving away my secret, he is NOT subtle!



Here we have #1, notice the dribbling stein.

this cousin of Jenny's is nicknamed Coma-Cody cause he drinks so much he goes intoa coma.




And #2 the stick rubbing OOUI



And #3 Manfred here doing the stein lifting.

Jerry lifted it the highest.




We figured out the last stein was made of lead and weighed 16 kilos (2.2 lbs to a kilo so this stein weighs 32lbs) try lifting that with ONE HAND!

This series of photos are for the foodies out there.
Like most American parties, certain people brought salads and Oma (grandma) brought her german potatoe salad (made with no mayo). I must say that there was nothing left on my plate but bones. I have totally said good bye to the diet


One neighbor has a rotisserie oven, one that cooks 25+ chickens at a time. It is portable so Manfred set it up in the garage.


The other neighbor has a wood fired oven and he made flammkuchen (Flame cake) which is kinda like pizza. If you take a large tortilla and put lots of cheese on it and onions/ham you got it. Or another kind that was served later in the evening he made sweet ones that had apples, Calvodos (apple schnapps) and marscapone cheese on it. Yum.

Here you can rent a refrigerated trailer and all your beer comes in it. NO not a keg, but bottles. So this trailer has beer & ouzo and wine in it, FULL! We kept the salads in this also till it was time to serve. What a great idea!



These are the desserts. Raspberry Crème, The german version of apple pie (top center), Nuss-sopf (lower center) is like a coffee cake, but HUGE!, and Oma (grandma’s) home made Black Forest Cake. Since I don’t eat cherries I will give you Jerry’s review. . . . MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!








When we got Manfred to slow down we gave him our gift. I have been working on it since January, I had a custom made bobble head made of Manfred. A Mini Me! It was perfect, everyone laughed.





Such a good time with our German Jenny.



By the end of the evening everyone was having a great time. This picture is of no one special, but shows all the smiles and now look in the background, how many bottles do you see. . . .


these Germans know how to party. They were still outside drinking when I went to bed at 2:15am. I’m such a light weight.

1 comment:

jaci said...

HAHA! No one drives home drunk, but those bicycles certainly wobble down the street!

Love jerry in his Lederhosen. You look lovely. And the food looks awesome!!