Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Are we Normal?




What is a normal tourist? I guess I should first ask myself. . .what a normal person is. . then look into whether the “normal” person is a normal tourist because they themselves are normal, or if they are normal tourists because of the choices they make while traveling. Wait. . .hold on. . . I am getting way too philosophical.
Backup. . .What is an AVERAGE tourist? And are we (Jerry and I) average tourists?

One answer. . .NOPE.

We don’t buy into the Tour bus holidays. Never have, hope we never do.
We don’t follow a travel book, sorry Rick Steves, I may use his book to get ideas but not to follow along with.
In fact, as I look at our track record in travel we, more often than not, foist ourselves on unsuspecting relatives and exchange student families. Poor souls.
We get other people to drive us around. Feed us from their cupboards. And take over their living rooms with the pull out couch. (sounds like a teenager)
Oh My. . .I feel guilty now.
When we aren’t bumming off of friends/family then we go to countries that don’t like us (americans) so they steal everything from us. There is a lesson to be learned there.
So. . . this makes Ireland an interesting venture. The country does like us (meaning Americans), We have no friends or family to bum off of and. . . . . we will have to drive ourselves. . .*cue scary music*.

I am sure many of you have heard our story of the time Jerry and I drove in a foreign country. It was England. Yes that is foreign because of the obvious, they drive all wrong there. We had to go from London to Shropshire, a distance of about 150 miles. So Jerry rents the car and then. . .hands me the keys. YIKES! First time driving on the left and I have to get us out of London. Not only is it a test of my driving skills. . .but a test of our marriage. And if I do say so myself, I did rather good, no broken mirrors or dings in the car.
Jerry didn’t offer to drive till the next day. . .once we were in a smaller town AND after he had seen all my near misses and he was sure he could do better. . .well . . he was just as bad as me. So There!
I tell you all this story again to prepare you for what might happen on Friday morning.
With great conviction I told Jerry I was NOT going to do the first leg of the journey from the Car Rental place at the Dublin Airport towards Dingle. “No Way am I going to be the first to drive, you had better get yourself in the right mind set cause I am NOT going to be behind the wheel”. So he says yes. . .He would drive first. But he has one of those sneaky smiles on his face. I find out later he tells his parents he will drive for 5 minutes then get out and make me drive the rest of the way. So. . . We will just see about that!!

You will all have to wait till I write my next blog to see if he got away with his little trick. Or if I beaned him over the head and stayed in the passenger seat.
Nope, we aren’t Normal Tourist. . . .but then again. . .you know we aren’t Normal people. And I certainly hope I never am Normal. I wouldn’t have as much fun if I were.

The soundbite for today comes from Jerry. The Scene: Grandpa is standing in the doorway of the boys room. Cameron and I are putting them to bed. Everyone is in their pajamas. Korban has Spiderman PJ’s that have webbing in the armpit area.
Cameron and I can do nothing but giggle. We realize this is a rite of passage for men/boys. . .but it makes us embarrassed to be witnesses to it. Tammi & Jenny be forewarned. . .your father will do this to the rest of the grandsons in due time.






http://gallopinggobets.googlepages.com/JerrysElephant.mp3



This is my last blog entry till we get there. The pics and soundbites are getting easier to drop in.
I won't be able to edit the sound bites on the road so you may get links to rather long pieces. Sorry. . .
So in 48 hours I will be having my own IRISH SPRING!!
(my apologies to P&G and Zest)
CHEERS!

No comments: