Sunday, March 9, 2014

Party like it's 1999

Sorry Prince. . . had to use your song title. Friday night. . . have a bite to eat. . .get dressed in costume. . . now off to the party. The town puts on a Fasching Nacht, Fasching Night. Here is Siggi & Jenny, Jerry and Siggi and Mary & Manfred. Ready to party.
Think of the Rosarians holding a variety show with local acts. Then the Rosarians would be in their "outfits' sitting on stage while the entertainment did their thing. Off to the side would be the Johnny Carson band putting in rim shots for jokes and Ta Da's for introductions. At times it reminded us of the Gong Show. Here is the committee in the back of the stage and and the stage hand cleaning the stage for the next act.
So here we have the first act.
There are no sports in high schools, so there are no school cheerleaders or dance teams. Sooooo the towns have their own dance teams that go to competitions. And they work all year to do the performances on Fasching parties and in the parades. The little girl in the video is a winner. and there are older teams but the video is too big to post here and I can't crop it with this computer. But I assure you it is funny, I'll post it later. There are comedians, of course we don't understand them. We judge how good they are by watching Manfred & Jenny laughing or not laughing. Unfortunately the cold that hit Jerry earlier in the week hit me in the middle of this entertainment. So I went home at halftime. That of course was the wrong thing to do. The second half turned into an campy adult show. The picture comes from Jerry's phone so it is blurry. These are all men dancing and singing "save a horse ride a cowboy".
I would never see this kind of performance in the US, only here in Germany and I am glad I did. This was fun, and funny and a good way to have fun on a cold February evening. Next blog. . .It smells so it must be the Cologne.

No comments: