I was almost disappointed to leave the wonderland of the Faire to go into the Joust arena at 3:30. Remember I am familiar with the U.S. type of Jousting. . .sorta. . .Seen That, Done that. . . Let’s move on. But here the Joust had a storyline and was played out once a day. So I tore myself away from the merchant booths and join our group going into the Arena. AnneMarie did an Excellent job of obtaining tickets. They were Section A, Row 3 Seat41-47. These placed us with the sun at our back and above the fence rail and at the far end of the Tourney Field so all my pictures turned out GREAT! Couldn’t have asked for better. Even the professional photographers were crouched down exactly in front of us. They knew the right angle to be at for the money shot! There had to be about 5000+ people in the arena when the parade began. This parade has all the characters of the village in it. From the water bearers to the STRONG MAN (yes this will make the guys uncomfortable) I told you I saw some interesting characters that weren’t Fairies.
This is the Snake lady, she made Jerry squirm (he hates snakes).
Then there was this guy. The costume is awesome made of wool and leather. You might want to enlarge the pick and see all the intricate work on the face and on the staff that also has a face. And yes the horns are real.
Then there are the fools. . . . .My kinda guys!
During the middle of the parade came a gaggle of Geese with a sheep herding dog that kept the geese inside the arena. I thought for sure we were going to have a fly by but the dog got them before they left the arena. Watch both videos for the effect.Then there was the rope walker that was walking the fence. He threw his hat to the crowd and asked them to throw it back and he caught it on his head.
Check out this photo. . . Look to the GREEN arrow I drew in. . .that is a reverse Alpine Horn, cool animal on the top. Then the Black arrow is pointing at the Professional Photographer. I told you I had good seats.
All this to warm up the crowd. Then we get the REAL Prince of Bavaria to come out and do the “Let the Games Begin” in German.
We start the Games with Trick Riders. Again, french men on horses. . .sigh. 
Next we meet Merlin and the story begins.
There is Arturos (Arthur)
Who meets Lancelot and they have a challenge then become best friends. Lance
They build the Round Table. . . .big Belgium horses pull in the pieces and the squires build it.
And all the nights are invited to the round table.
Next we meet Morgana and her evil black knight Mordred. (they weren’t invited and got angry) Oh you have to give it to this actress. She sure knows how to play to the camera. And I love her leather dress. Look how she arrives on a platform between two horses. Classic evil!
Then we meet Guinevere (Gwen) in her white horses and red roses.
Her and Arthur get married. . . .
OH But what is this!!!! The messenger just said that Arthur needs to protect his borders there is an invasion. . . . .off goes Arthur and he leaves Lance to protect the round table and Gwen. And just as the screen door slams behind him. . . .up pops Morgana & Mordred. They get to beat up Lancelot and throw him into the pit and chain up Gwen and try to set her on fire. 
Merlin does his job by running to Arthur in the middle of his border battle and tell him that Lance & Gwen have been captured and HURRY! So now we have Lance being drug behind a horse and then put on the scaffolding to be hung and Gwen is being tied to a post and going to be burned.
The cool part about this video is. . .just moments before Morgana’s men disassembled the round table and one of those HUGE horses left a big pile of shit in the middle of the arena. So along come the Black Knight dragging Lance behind him headed straight for the hanging scaffold and drags Lance right through the horse shit.Can you imagine auditioning for the Lancelot character. We all think he is the greatest lover type. But in this show he gets beat up by Arthur, then beat up by Mordred and drug behind a horse through horse shit, then hung and oh by the way. . .HE Doesn’t Get the Girl!!! So much for good looks, charm and a French accent. . . . Then of course we have the final battle between the Black Night and Arthur to win back his kingdom. Watch the videos. . .doesn't it keep you on your seat edge. . .LOL

I tried to load the Joust video but it just won't do it. . . .I will add it into the next blog and see if it will allow it there.
Part 3 will be short, about merchants
1 comment:
I'm just getting around to reading this. All I have to say is this: the jousting in European Ren Faires rocks.
Post a Comment