Monday, June 21, 2010

Slight Detour to Orlando

Not all trips are meant to be fun, exciting or entertaining in the traditional manner.
I have completed a week long trip to Orlando, Florida for work purposes. Now, I have several workmates that will be reading this blog so you can rest assured that I will reveal the week’s activities with this in mind.



P&G, my company, was having a yearly meeting of Sales & Marketing. That would be about 1800 of us from Canada/USA & Puerto Rico. Including my bosses and counterparts from Chicago/Minneapolis. We take up all of one hotel and part of another. Hilton Orlando. Most of my time was taken up with meetings. Learning how we did last year, how the recession is effecting our sales and consumers,etc. We also had awards given out and lots of pats on the back. It was a very good thing to see my bosses since that only happens twice a year if I am lucky. It was also nice to see past workmates that had moved onto new positions.
But try as I might. . . it was very hard to focus on these meetings when I keep thinking of the workload stacking up and waiting. And how I will have to complete allt he work before leaving for Germany.
It was a good thing that I got a bit distracted with the hotel water features.

Even though I used to live in Florida, and had a Daughter that lived here for 5 years. . (and my ex lives in Orlando),there is only one person I would consider visiting while in this state. That would be Liz Kelsey. A lovely young lady that I have known since she was 17. She lived here in the Canby area and was one of the actors in the troupe I organized for Renaissance faires. She is now an 8th grade teacher.

With an email or two and a phone call we set up a time to meet.


The high points. . .
• Unusually good food for buffets and sit down dinners. ( I had Fillet Mignon each night)


• Floating down the Lazy River.



Each night around 9:30pm I would grab my swimsuit and a glass of Baileys and go to the Lazy River. A type of swimming pool that is 3ft deep, about 10-15ft wide that has a current like a river. Inner tubes are provided and you hop on and float through water arches, water cannons, rapids and even waterfalls. It takes about 4-5 minutes to do the whole loop in the river. You can touch the bottom at anytime. You can hold up in an eddy and just float there.
The first night was a lightening storm and it was beautiful to float looking up and see the natural light show above.


On another night there was a cresent moon. That late in the evening most kids aren’t around so it is quiet and other adults don’t want to disturb you so you are pretty much alone and floating.

• My visit with Liz was wonderful. So nice to see her full of ideas and loving the teaching job she has. She inspires me.



Didn’t get to see anything else in Orlando even though the Harry Potter park opened up on Wednesday. It cost $94 for a one day pass to Universal. . .I could not justify buying a pass just to see Harry Potter.. . .will try to do that next time.

On the way home at the Dallas airport I had a 3 hour 45 min. layover. UGH! But I put it to good use. Sat in an Irish Pub, drinking English Cider and watched the US vs Slovenia soccer game. When we made our goals the whole Airport erupted. It was so cool. All TV monitors were tuned to the game and every gate around the food court you could hear the cheers. I left the pub to catch my flight and heard the airport erupt for the 3rd time, thinking. . .YEAH we are ahead. I was not near a monitor when I heard the roar. It wasn't till we landed in Portland that I found out what happened on the 3rd goal.



Well, there went one week of not getting my work done so now I have 14 work days before Germany and I am madly trying to clear my desk till then.
Jerry was in Seattle for the same week and is just as crunched for time. Boy do we need this vacation.

Tally Ho!
No wait a minute that was English. . .
I mean
Weiter
(onward)
Got to keep practicing my German.

1 comment:

jaci said...

Weiter!

I love the water features. I want hot weather and water features in my backyard...