Monday, August 3, 2009

Wedded Bliss?

The record was broke today. 10 straight days of OVER 90degrees in Portland. AND as if that wasn’t enough, 4 of those days were OVER 100. . . .AND to top all that. . .One of those days hit 111 here in Canby.

Soooooo you would think I would stay inside and let the nice new heat pump do it’s thing and keep me cool.
Not bloody likely.
Sarah, dear little Sarah got married on Saturday. The youngest of 5. This life changing event became the catalyst to have my side of the family gather.
The Gobet Chalet was open for business. All rooms were booked. Including the living room floor, family room floor, guest room, my office and the Nana room (grandkid room).

I utilized (abused) all my relatives to help prepare for the wedding. Ironing, washing, cooking, packing, driving, cleaning. I will always be grateful for all the help and support they provided. We (Jerry and I) could not have made it through the wedding without them. I kept telling Jerry that he would get a kiss at 6pm on Monday August 3rd, when everyone had gone home and we were at an end to this "E" Ticket ride. (if you don't get the joke you are not old enough)

We had Uncle Warren (from Dallas, Tx), bringing kites and balloons to keep kids and adults happy. He also bartended and tried to keep the drunks at bay. . . didn’t work, but he tried.

Aunt Carmon (Kansas City, MO), with her giggles and encouragements and love. And pressing my dress and taking her turn at pressing tablecloths. I just wish the heat had not taken such a toll on her. I am very sorry for that.

Cousin Sherry (Bend, OR) and her daughter Rachelle (Bend, OR) and her daughter-in-law Carrie (San Diego, CA), did all the little stuff and big stuff. From making sure we got fed on the wedding day, to ironing those damn tablecloths, hanging rose petals & Chinese lanterns and sewing on buttons. It was nice to have their enthusiasm handy when I was about to run out of steam.

Cousin Denny (Detroit, MI) was the strong arm carrying tables, boxes and giving us the insight on how airplanes get fixed. (he works for Delta/NW)

I will only tell a short version of the tale. I am sure more will seep out as we talk to the bride & groom in the next week.

What could go wrong. . .hmmm. . . how about arriving at the venue to find the rental equipment is MINUS FANS. Remember the 90+ degree weather in Portland this week? I had ordered earlier in the week 4 large oscillating fans and one carpet dryer. What I saw at the venue is 5 carpet dryers and NO fans. ACK. The carpet dryers are on the ground and do not produce cold air. But what was I to do? I kept 3 and sent back the rest. I later wish I had kept all 5. Our fear was the noise from the dryers would drown out the ceremony.

We went through all the water we brought in less than an hour. We had to send our dear friends Renee & Rich to fetch more water and 4 serving spoons, which were forgotten for the salads.

The Bartenders did their best. Jerry got a shower of beer when the second keg was tapped. He returned the tux soaked in Beer, and he wasn’t even drinking it.



Besides there being a VERY BEAUTIFUL BRIDE in this wedding, there was a handsome and quite witty groom. David kept making faces during the vows that made me giggle.
We had to be careful because the Ring Bearers and Flower Girl easily were stealing the show. Not just during the ceremony, which I have to say they did VERY VERY well. No mishaps, just cute moments.



Please note the color of the bride's shoes. Ask her how she got them. It is a great story.


BUT. . .remember those carpet dryers. Well, us women soon found out that you had to be careful walking past them or you would have a Marilyn Monroe moment with the wind blowing UP your dress. It happened to me. Joy figured this out and loved backing up to the blowers and having her dress blow over her head. I am sooooooo glad I made her the bloomers. Everyone thought she was a doll in them.




The boys liked taking their shirts and filling them with air and becoming the “Fat Boys”.


Their green Mohawks were Sarah’s idea and all the groomsmen kept telling them they were “COOL”.
Jerry danced with Sarah and then the Toast, which they switched from their champagne flutes to Pabst Beer glasses we gave them as a joke. It was well received. Jerry read the 6th grade report card to David so he would know that Sarah hasn’t changed since 6th grade, don’t expect anything different.





This was my favorite picture of the evening. With David smiling and Sarah looking so pretty. But look at David's fingers, I am afraid he will do something with that chocolate. He didn't but I thought he was going to.



The evening ended with. . .well. . . .let’s just say the evening was so hot that many guest left early, they were dropping like flies. But the groomsmen hung around and helped (somewhat) to get the place cleared out and the Bridal Couple got into a Rickshaw and headed for their hotel room. And just for the record, no. . .in this picture Sarah is not pregnant. She wadded up David's tux coat and put it into her lap so he could get into the Rickshaw.


There are stories about that trip, but I will leave them for Sarah & David to share.
The Honeymoon will commence on this next Sunday when they will be going to Friday Harbor for a week.
Blessings upon the couple.
The next blog will have the "Behind teh Scenes" shots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sooo beautiful, congrats Mary!

jaci said...

Sarah looks so incredibly happy in all of the photos. I can't choose a favorite picture: joy's bloomers, the green mohawks or the laughing bride & groom?
I'm sure you are very glad it is over now and you can move on to other projects - I sure thought of you all weekend and hoped you survived the heat!!