Monday, June 15, 2009

The Joy of Camping

I forgot how much I love camping. Growing up in a land rich with national parks & state parks my parents created a good solid base of nature appreciation. Many summers of tent camping in Tahoe, Yosimite, Mammoth Lakes, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Monterey just to name a few of the spots my family explored.

Years later Palina Lake became a family favorite. Girl scouting and the many campouts that entailed was followed by our period camping for the Medieval reenactment groups we belonged to.

Then came the blank years. No kids at home, no reason to have a cheap vacation. Europe called and we responded.

Now there are grandchildren ready to explore the world of dirt, bugs, water and rooms that have walls thinner than the kite you love to fly.
Cameron and I embarked on a camping trip to La Pine State park, about 25 miles south of Bend Oregon. Amongst the lava flows and the twisting and fast Deshutes river.













What do you do with 3 kids under 5 in a campground.

Search for Leprechaun Gold (see earlier post on how this is done)













Paint with mud, what kid doesn't like playing in mud? Cameron's idea. Make mud in the dishpan, use dollar store paintbrushes and let the kids paint the street. The neighbor kids loved it and so did their mom. The youngest painted himself more than the road. (note: the campground considers chalk on the road graffiti and makes you wash it off, they can't say S$%^ about Mud)











Feed Squirrels.













Climb lava rocks and learn about volcanos.
















Watch Squirrels












Go rock climbing at the Children’s museum. Where you can make Pizza and play on the stage, too!















Watch squirrels drive your Tonka truck.
















Warn Nana she has a flat tire! And watch the Les Schwab guy come and put on the spare.













Watch Squirrels.











Ride dinosaurs with mommy.












Talk to mommy, and discover Mushrooms












Sleeping outside and having story time with Nana.






Yup, camping made me feel all better this weekend!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

It looks like you had fun...I must remember to do things like this when my grandkids come to visit- typical of many, my visit to Lavalands Visitor Center with Grimarr was my first. I'm glad when he comes to visit- I can then 'show off' my city and surrounding environs!

jaci said...

Hmmmmm. I'm pretty certain your favorite moment was NOT the Les Schwab guy coming to the rescue!

Looks like a right good time. I can't believe the SP people have a thing against sidewalk chalks! Good thinking Cameron! Mud painting rocks.

I need a camping fix...