Then I heard them say it had a brand new paint job and Apolo Ohno was going to be there.
Let me clarify for my german friends if they don't already know. Apolo Ohno is the Olympic Speed Skater gold medalist that was born and raised in Seattle.We consider him our local hero.
Once the outgoing passengers, including myself, were settled and the plane was making it’s way to the runway the flight attendance told us that we were going to try and get to Seattle fast. The Ceremony was for Apolo Ono to sign the plane and launch a new marketing campaign for going to Hawaii.
Three hours went by fast and as we pulled up to gate C9 in Seattle it was easy to see where our plane was going to park. The baggage handlers were all over.

Please forgive the blurry pics. I only brought with me my point & shoot little camera so when I do the Zoom little wiggles turn into big wiggles when you zoom that far.
Just before we deplaned the flight attendant told us if we had the time we should hang out and watch the ceremony. Well I had about 2 ½ hours till my shuttle to Portland and it leaves from C2 so I had no problem staying on.
C9 gate looked like this BEFORE Apolo showed up.

Here is the plane before the signing. And during the signing.



OK, I will admit I did not take this photo but all the rest I did.

Then he came upstairs to greet everyone and did a little speech.


This plane was scheduled to go to Honolulu right then. . . Not with Apolo though.
So what they did was have Apolo put a flower Lei on each passenger as they boarded.
Ok. . .can’t refrain from this comment.
248 leis in an hour, this guy has some stamina!

I hung out and talked to some employees that were there to watch the whole thing. This one lady, Barb, was really friendly and we got along great. I mentioned Jerry and I using our frequent flyers miles from Alaska to go to Germany/Switzerland this summer. Next thing I know the Alaska Airlines TV camera guy comes over and Barb is saying they need to interview me. YIKES!! So there I am on camera telling them how much I like Alaska airlines and that Apolo is an outstanding gentleman and well spoken.
Whew, got that over with and was still trying to capture a good pic of Apolo. I did get some of his dad. It was very easy to see how proud he was of his son.

Then. . .
HE CAME OVER TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE AREA!!!

As I am here getting my pic taken with him on my camera I say to him..
“I came in on that flight and hour ago, we left gum under the seat just for you!” Thinking I was being funny. . . . .by his face you can tell he was not even listening. That poor guy had been swamped by girls and people in general and cameras flashing and flashing. And he still spoke so eloquently and conducted himself with such presence. I hope he lives a life he can be proud of and not slip off the pedestal we have put him on.
Needless to say. . . I have had a wonderful brush with fame. A great way to end a full week. And now am settling down to do the laundry and catch up on all my chores. Sigh, Fame is such a fleeting thing.
2 comments:
Well done! Great story. Liked "the gum under the seat" bit ;-)
What a wonderful story, Mary! (I even liked the gum under the seat" comment - hahaha!).
We are proud of "our" Apolo Ohno!
Post a Comment