Friday, December 5, 2008

Surf's up. . . and down


I did it!! Finally got Jerry to agree to a trip to the beach for no reason but to go. And boy did we need it. Too many people from work, both his and mine, read this so I can’t say much, but just know that work has not been too kind for Unisys employees.

So here we are in Rockaway, Oregon, population. . .um. . . what time of year is it? Oh yeah. . .Decemburr, so that would be population 1379 stretched down a long strip of sandy beach and hwy 101. I think the whole town is 4 streets wide not including the highway.
We found a hotel (Surfside) with a gas fireplace, a full kitchen, queen bed, second floor with two walls of floor to ceiling windows, one set facing north, the other faces west, of course.
All this for $62 a night. Now that is a deal if I ever saw one.
Here is a Friday morning picture off our balcony.


I rose at 6:30am on Friday morning, before the sun rose. I started walking the beach. . . .no I am not normally a beach fan, but this morning made a difference for me. Maybe it has to do with the 4 years I lived in Key West, burn out of that fishy smell and the constant sea breeze. This walk on the beach brought back the Ireland trip and my walk on the Dingle Harbor at 6am. The ocean can so easily remind us . . .people. . .humans. . .that we are a mere spot in the timeline of this earth. The shore washes away and rebuilds over centuries. These houses that perch on the edge, pile rocks up and make concrete walls to save their precious square of land from the pull of King Neptune’s hand.
Come to think of it. . .I probably had Ireland on my mind because back in the room we were going to make our version of an Irish breakfast. . . oatmeal & Baileys. Tee hee.

Ireland was still on my mind when we had lunch at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. The lunch was nothing to shout about AT ALL. But the conversation saved the meal. I asked Jerry where he would like to travel to in 2010, since 2009 will be a wedding (Sarah’s) so we need to stay close to home. I said “Would you consider going to Australia?” and he answered “I would go back to Ireland before going to Australia.” Wow I feel the same way. 6 months later and we still have such a connection with that country.

Back to the Beach



This was just toooooo cool to not snap a pic of. I do love driftwood.



As you can tell today was a beautiful day, no wind, about 50 degrees and sunny.

The sunset was ½ hour before high tide. Out by the sunset you can see a crab boat, the season opened up this week. I snapped a great one of this boat going in front of the sun, but I need do some photoshopping to it so the sunglare doesn’t cause a problem.



So I started my morning with Baileys and as you can see I am ending the day the same way. . . minus the oatmeal. Jerry is at the table chewing on fresh crab and an Alaskan Amber. . .I think he is enjoying this evening as well.
Till tomorrow. . . .I am “sailing away to the land of Nod”.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Miss you...looks like you're having a good time! I'm going to have to try this Bailey's and oatmeal...steel cut oats did you say? :) Great pictures of the scenery and of the old man and the sea...LOL! Love you! Vic

kandyblossom said...

That all sounds so heavenly!Especially the minimal population. Glad you got to get away from things for awhile. The pictures are gorgeous.