
Avast Matey it be time to don the colors and voice of the dreaded pirates in the west.
This past Saturday we set sail for the Pirate Festival out at Centennial Park in St. John’s. What a lovely setting. The park is directly under the bridge amongst the pylons.
This is the 3rd year and I must say it looked well attended. Considering rain was scheduled. It didn’t show up on Saturday but did on Sunday. Lucky us we went on the first day.
We??. . .Well. . We turned out to be plenty. Sister Cameron & Niece Susan & dear one Dean & Dear Friend (oops forgot her name, sorry). Then Daughter Cameron and 3 Sea Pups. Daughter Sarah, and young friend Chrystal. We were then joined by Dear Friend Phil & his 2 Sea Pups. All were of like mind and spirit for this day of fun.

Right inside the gate this pirate with a skull mask said good day to Joy and she about jumped out of the wagon screaming. We learned to drive the wagon AROUND all the “dead Pirates” You could hear Chrystal and Sarah and I say “Dead pirate on the right”

I found myself rolling with laughter as Kentucky & Korban challenged themselves to the Pirate games. There was
1. Loading the cannon (throwing plastic baseballs into a cannon mouth) Korban did well, Kentucky kept throwing over handed and the balls would bounce right out, he got a little miffed till we showed him the trick.
2. Swabbing the Deck – (pushing a block of wood-soap- with a mop, down the walk path) Korban again excelled at this.
3. Raising the Flag – (answering pirate questions till the flag reached the top of the mast) Kentucky got this one.
4. Rid the Rats – (hitting plastic white mice with a baseball bat till they got into a bucket) now this is where I lost it. Every time they hit the “rat” it would fly up in the air. Kinda like reverse Gopher.
There were inflatable pirate ships that were different kind of bounce houses. The boys spent a lot of time in there.




Mark Lewis, famous storyteller was an act I made sure to catch. As I sat to listen, Phil showed up. We both thoroughly enjoy this man. What faces he makes and sound effects. He is a good storyteller for adults and children alike.

The BOOM Pirates ran a mock battle of the Pirates against the British. I couldn’t get over to it, but Cameron & Kentucky saw it. Next year we have to make the front row for that one. Cannons shooting at the sailing ship coming up river and the British landing and fighting in the sand. A great spectacle. unfortunately I have no pics of that battle.
I was amazed at a juggling act I had never seen before. They were the Mud Bay Jugglers.
They combine music and pantomime with juggling. I must render off some of my video to put here. They did a slow mo. . .bit that was just tooooo funny. All the men had long grey beards and reminded me of ZZ Top. But it was obvious they were “natural” men. They hail from Olympia. Their music choices were great. I love the bit done to Hernando’s Hide – a – way, that’s a tango if you aren’t familiar with it. They did the tango while putting on a coat and a hat. Strange, but funny.

We ended the night with the Flame dancers. There was more happening on the stage but the Sea Pups just could not hold it together a moment longer.

Now for the family pics.
Korban as a happy Pirate.

Kentucky sneaking a cookie an Korban with evidence of the cookie.


Cameron & kids & Nana.

Chrystal and the Smoking Pirate

Sarah coercing Korban to join the picture.

Joy and a great Pirate face. Choose your caption. .. . .

Other pictures will be posted over on my sewing blog. It will be the costume version of the event. Like these of Cameron's & My skirts. Yes that is Joy between us.

Already planning for next year.
Weigh Anchor. . .Man the MizenMast. . .All hands aloft. . .We sail for the teasures and freedom.
P.S. Yes you don't see any pics of Jerry. He would make a Fine Pirate if I could only get him to leave the lawnmower/computer/balloon alone for one weekend.
3 comments:
what's the address to your sewing blog? I'd like to see more pics. :)
Ya,I'm now having a closer look at the family.You seem to be having a blast with your family!:) Well written post Mary,do mail more pics of the eventful weekend.:):)
Ya, having a closer look at the family now. Looks like you had a blast with your family!!:) Well writen post,Mary. Do mail in more pics of your eventful weekend.:):)
Post a Comment