Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Faerie Worlds 2008

So you all know I went to the Fairy Festival last Saturday. What a hedonistic event. Blend a dash of Woodstock, with a hefty cup full of Renaissance Faire, fold in about 1000 College New Age kids and mix with Tree huggers, Wiccans. Pagans, Corp puppets (me) and lost housewives. Bake in a 90 degree day and serve on a platter of Winery in the valley of Oregon and garnish with Artisans & Musicians from around the world (really).
If you are at all familiar with the artistic world of fantasy you will recognize some of these artists. Brian Froud of the movie Dark Crystal & Labryth fame, he drew the original characters for Jim Henson to create puppets from. In fact if you saw Labryth (starring David Bowie) the little baby boy in it is Brian Froud's son Toby, who is now 22.


Amy Brown, who's art and figurines are sold in many boutique shops as well as Hallmark.





I will post a few pics here but if you are curious you can checkout the Flickr pics people have posted.


Also the blog of the friend that went with me, Jaci. I won't post pics of myself here. You will have to look at Jaci's blog to see me.



I just love these ladies, someone dubbed them the Hive sisters. . . .



















This fairy carried around a frog with her. . . never did ask her why.

























The mask was the only thing "not normal" about this guy, he was dressed in everyday clothes. But because he was bald this mask worked wonderfully for him. Wish I knew where he got the mask.

























This lady was on stilts and could move so fast. She was always dancing or hula hooping.

And I love the outfit.



And then there were the animals. . . . .


The music was a bit hard to take. Very trance inducing. the two groups I wanted to see were off the stage before I got there. Darn. Both have cellists. Gaia Consort and Trillian Green. Both are Northwest groups.
There were Fire Dancers the night before but not the night we were there. Qntal was the headlining group for the big finally. They are from Germany. Again, music that was OK, but not riveting for me. I was more intrigued by the costumes and the Artist booths. There were so many close to 200+. and they were juried very well. Everything from Henna booths, to sculpture. Fibre artists and mixed media artisans. I met one of my favorite jewelry artists there. I found her twice during a Balloon event held in Albany. And here she was at Fairy Festival. I was wearing a mask and she still recognized me. that was very cool. I bought a piece from her that I will cherish. someday you will see me wear it.

time to come back to the real world now. . .. time to do my work and earn a wage. . .till the fairies wisk me off again to their land of whimsy and delight.

No comments: